Pune, August 23, 2013: Banga Beats’ hopes of reaching the semi-finals of the Indian Badminton League was thrashed after they lost their must-win match against hosts Pune Pistons 0-3 at the Shiv Chhatrapati Sports Complex, Balewadi on Friday.
It was Pune’s day from the beginning when Anup Sridhar set the tone by winning against Hu Yun of Banga Beats in two straight matches. It was a Bangalorean who started the demolition of Banga Beats with Sridhar notching up an upset 21-12 21-18 victory against Hu Yun in the first men’s singles to give Pune a 1-0 lead.World number three Juliane Schenk put it across Carolina Marin 21-20 21-10 in the women`s singles to take Pune to a commanding position.
Trailing 0-2, Bangalore’s Carsten Mogensen and Akshay Dewalkar then took the court but lost 18-21 18-21 against the experienced pair of Joachim Fischer Nielsen and Kiong Tan Wee which allowed the Pistons to take an unassailable 3-0 lead.
In no time, Women’s Singles, both Men’s Doubles were also pocketed by Pune. Mixed Doubles was the only win for Banga Beats where they beat Pune Pistons 20-21 21-14 11-8.
The second men’s singles and mixed doubles matches between Pune and Bangalore were however rendered inconsequential.
- Anup Sridhar (PP) beat Hu Yun (BB) 21-12, 21-18
- Juliane Schenk (PP) beat Carolina Marin (BB) 21-20, 21-10
- Fischer Nielsen Joachim and Kiong Tan Wee (PP) beat Carston Mogensen and Akshay Dewalkar (BB) 21-18, 21-18
- Saurabh Verma (PP) beat P Kashyap(BB) 19-21, 21-18, 11-4
- Carston Mogensen and Carolina Marin (BB) beat Fischer Nielsen Joachim and Ashwini Ponnappa (PP) 20-21, 21-14, 11-8